Well ladies and gents, your trusty bronze-medaled, women's volleyball Spartans are leaving the country. We're off to Paraguay alongside Athletes in Action to help fight poverty and spread God's love. We're using our sport as a platform as we're helping in orphanages, food stations, and whatever else God calls us to do. Our team is leaving April 26th and returning on May 9th, and this is where we'll be documenting all of our experiences and thoughts. Enjoy!

Sunday 24 April 2011

Easter

A day of cheap chocolate and strange Western traditions that involve pastel paints and over-eager children. A time of communion and remembrance, with our non-alcoholic wine and our bread-crumbed clothes. For some of us, it's simply an extended exam study session accompanied by discount jellybeans and Bible verses.

It seems only suiting that the day before we farewell our accustomed Canadian lives, we have an entire weekend to focus on the origins of our faith. But aside from bunnies laying eggs, we find an even stranger phenomenon: a man who died innocently so that others may lead sinful lives. Sinful, yet forgiven. It is something I don't fully understand, and yet it characterizes my entire belief system. It is a mentality of absolute love rather than revenge that my small human mind is incapable of grasping.
Despite my struggle with human evilness waged against Christ's perfection, I do fully understand what his life preached and what his death meant. I realize that some 2,000 years after his resurrection, it is now my responsibility to be a living testimonial of Christ and Christianity to South America. I am more than excited to implement the meaning of Easter with my team and freely live out our faiths.

I wish you all a blessed Easter filled with Cadbury eggs and Jesus' love.

No comments:

Post a Comment